Andy Allan wrote:
> * Some people started tagging *and rendering* crossings, using a
> particular tagging scheme.
> * Some other people, who weren't actually out doing the work, started
> complaining about what was going on [1]
> * This second group made an extremely detailed (or overcomplicated,
> depending on your point of view) proposal to address their perceived
> issues with the scheme [2]
> * The proposal petered out, and meanwhile the people actually tagging
> stuff have carried on doing so quite successfully.
> * Now all the complainers are piping up again. Sigh.

Hmm, I see it differently.  As I recall:
*Some people said "this is the way it will be".  Since they have dev
access, they also added their method to the rendering system, ensuring
that their method would be the One True Way(tm), but didn't bother
documenting it anywhere.
*Some other people (myself among them) said "that's ridiculously
UK-centric and not really compatible with the rest of the world".  One
of them came up with a sensible tagging scheme that will work in places
other than the UK.
*Another person took the ideas from that discussion and made a proposal.
*Once the proposal got to voting, the creators of the One True Way
started bitching about how "this tag is already in 'widespread' use" (at
least in their corner of the UK), and suddenly got round to documenting
their usage of the tag.

-Alex Mauer "hawke