On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 09:04:12PM +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:
> > [1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Relations/Proposed/Segmented_Tag
> > [2]
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Relations/Proposed/Collected_Ways
> >

> The issue here is that both these proposals take us back towards the old
> segment model. Even towards removing ways, everything just being a
> collection of nodes.

I have not seen older discussions about this, but this argument doesn't
look valid to me: they are not proposing going to the extreme of removing
ways or going back completely to the segment model.

That would be like saying the current approach goes towards the extreme of
making all ways to be split until all have only two nodes, that wouldn't
be a valid argument either.

I think there were good reasons for removing the segment model, but this
doesn't mean that anything resembling the segment model is forbidden. If
the proposals above have problems, they should be weighted and compared to
the current problems (e.g. the duplicate information due to the splitted
ways resulting from bridges tunnels and bus routes and difficulty to
add tags to a street when it is splitted in many small sections), not
rejected only because they share some features of the segment model.

> (Let's _not_ talk about that again...)

I really hope I won't trigger a flamewar[1]. But I think it would benefit
everybody discussing those proposals to see the real pros and cons of
the proposals (and I mean the pros and cons of those proposals, not the
pros and cons of the old segment model; they are different things).

[1] That would bad for my first month contributing to OSM and my third
    message to this mailing list.  :)

--
Eduardo