On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:17:04 +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:

> This is absolutely the way to do it

and it works for the general case, but not if you have a maze of short
streets with long names even when you shorten them that way.
These do require a method to specify short, and possibly shorter,
variations.

Annoying example:

Alexander-von-Humboldt-Straße => Alexander-von-Humboldt-Str (that's
automagic) => Alexander-v.-Humboldt-Str (that too, if you're good)
=> Alex.-v.-Humboldt-Str => A.-v.-Humboldt-Str => A-v-Humb.-Str =>
AvHumb-S (probably too much, but ...)

Of course I don't recommend that everybody hack all of these into their
maps, but if you do notice that the mappers skip too many street names
because they don't fit, going back and adding a few short versions
is *much* better than a map which omits half the names.

Thus, IMHO a multivalued short_name=* attribute would be a Good Thing.

--
Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 - -