>name:sh is not a good idea, because there could be a language whose code
>is "sh". How about short_name? This could also be localized like
>short_name:en, short_name:sv etc.

>I'm already using short_name for abbreviations of building names on the
>Bayreuth university campus.

I don't like the idea of the short_name tag for common names. The rendering
engine should be configured to shorten abbreviations like road, street,
vägen, gatan, Straße or what ever by itself. This is much more sufficient
then adding the tags one by one. That gives everyone the chance to choose for
them selfs if they like to shorten a name or not. This is especially
important when you can shorten more then one thing in one name. For example
Sankt Ingbert Straße could be shortened:

St. Ingbert Straße
Sankt Ingbert Str.
St. Ingbert Str.

So which one would be the short name you put in right now? Usually you would
put in St. Ingbert Straße but this is certainly not the shortest but St.
Ingbert Str. is an absolutely uncommon used version of the name but maybe
usefull if the street is very short.

I believe that the rendering engine should be responsible for shorting names