Steve Hill wrote:

> * the changes cover a reasonably large area and thus a large number of
> editors are affected and may wish to contribute to the discussion.

* though with NPE the reasonably large area is pretty clearly going to
be talk-gb, not talk :p

Seriously, it wasn't solely directed at this discussion - the more
people are reminded of our clever messaging system, the better - but
IMO (and only that) it's still good practice to contact first, then
post later if you feel it's needed. If nothing else, people tend to
react better to personal contact than to third-person discussion on a
busy mailing list.

cheers
Richard