On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 11:07:24AM -0000, m*sh wrote:
> On Mon, August 4, 2008 10:14, vegard wrote:
> > For naming of streets in cities, where properties change very often and
> > you have to make many small ways, it sometimes gets annoying that the
> > name is duplicated.
> >
> > I was wondering: How good/easy would it be to make a superway-relation
> > to fix that? I.e. group several ways for labeling-intentions?
> >
> > I'm no expert on the inner workings in either of the renderers, but to
> > me it sounds like a quick fix to a small annoyance. If someone that
> > knows the renderers could either agree or disagree, I'd be happy anyways
> > (well, obviously happier if they agree :)
>
> Actually there is a 'mantra' on a german mailing list stating that,
> "we are not tagging for the renderer"

I agree. We're not tagging for the renderer. At least, we're not tagging
it *wrongly* for the renderer.

But in practise, we might need to give the renderer some hints with
some extra tagging. Of that, I personally am a little more inclined to
accept that. But others might agree/disagree with me. I think adding a
relation like that to help the renderer does in no way destroy the data
model.

> But matter of factly a similar idea crosses my mind from time to time.
> Proposing a tag-combination:
> label=yes
> name = Mainstreet (e.g.)
> displayzoom = 12
>
> label = yes : This would mean that the node has no physical representation
> name  = 'foo': Label to be displayed
> displayzoom = nn : the zoomfactor (or higher) that will result in
> displaying the label at a given zoomrate.
>
> 'Labelling' like this could also help when there are many labels/captions
> to be displayed in a given area and avoid interference - IMHO

Hmm. Well. I'm more inclined to add an importance-qualifier to a label,
and let the renderer sort out how much it can add :)
--
- Vegard Engen, member of the first RFC1149 implementation team.