> I am definitively against phone numbers in OSM. On many communities on the
> internet
> publishing phone numbers and email adresses is not welcome because wrong
> numbers can't be found easily and people suffering from such phone calls
> will
> be really annoyed.

I hate to be the one to disagree, but (obviously) I think that there
should be the ability to add phone numbers to the database and transfer
these to PIO on a GPS map.

The reason being is that I'm working hard on getting a 'tourist town' in
the Canadian Rockies mapped out, part of the project is to produce a
downloadable GPS map which 'we' could offer for free to the various
visitors.

The 'find' function on the garmins works really well, for example to look
up resturants or accomodations in the area. Adding a contact phone number
would enable visitors to quickly make a reservation/etc.

I would agree that phone numbers are really only useful from a business
point of view and great care should be taken to ensure that they are
correct.

Cheers,
Mungewell.

PS. If you'd like to visit, we're having a mapping party this coming
Saturday.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Canada:Alberta:Crowsnest_Pass#Mapping_Party_-_23rd_August_2008