2008/8/26 Mark Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> I disagree with this view.
> Do you tag post boxes as way nodes? Shops? Telephones?
> No...
> So why bus stops? They aren't in the road. They are sites on the side,
> like all of the above. It makes no sense to tag them as way objects.

a good point, and as i said, this is complicated a lot by representing
areas as ways i.e. roads. no, i dont' suggest we change, but whatever
we do to get round this will be a botch or compromise

however, i will disagree that bus stops are off to one side. the bus
stops on the road, not on the pavement. the positioning of the
sign/shelter is irrelevant, the bus always stops on the road,
regardless. and there are bus stops here where it says 'bus stop'
painted on the road, not on a sign at all.

as to the others, no i place them off to one side, as i do telephones.

as for shops: well i was thinking about this on friday while walking
round the university, and considering routing from one building to
another, entirely on campus footpaths - it occurred to me that we may
need an 'entrance' tag for buildings, otherwise where do we join the
end of the path to? paths must lead to buildings, otherwise we can't
route to them. so, in the case of shops, i would suggest a short
footway from the highway to the shop entrance

should po boxes be way nodes? i haven't thought about it previously,
but to be consistent (something that's lacking in osm), we probably
should. it needs more thinking about, but in a holistic way, not the
haphazard way these things are done at the moment - something i'm
guilty of myself, by the way...

> I have seen the arguments about knowing which way they belong to; IMHO
> this is specious, no bus company works by looking at OSM to see where to

why not? there are non-profits and other orgs that have started using
osm maps instead of their own/paid for 3rd party services. why
shouldn't a bus company use them as well? i'd be very keen on my local
council not doling out thousands a year to whoever they pay for their
maps

> route their buses, but a map user may well want to know just where the
> bus stop is - Anyone looking at a map of where they are who doesn't know
> which side they drive, is in trouble. The same goes for any navigation
> software.

people are including bus routes in osm data, so clearly they are used
for more than people just getting to the stop

> It really isn't hard to link from bus-stops as points to nearby ways -
> check out all the routing apps, not many need a hard node ID or way ID
> to commence from / get to - they find a nearby way from a lat/long. If
> Gosmore can do it, why not any other app?

i'll put this in the category of 'work around'. it's not any decent
solution, but more corner-cutting. and it causes problems where for
instance there is a stream, or railway track, that makes a destination
physically close, but impractical/dangerous to get to. to solve that
problem, we then have to come up with another solution, and it quickly
becomes quite messy