Hi,

robin paulson wrote:
>> I think we shouldn't vote on tags at all. Instead, we should monitor what
>> gets
>> used most by the mappers (see Tagwatch and the tool announced by
>> Schuyler Erle).
>
> one of the problems with this, is that it's highly likely two mappers
> will develop two contrasting, but both valid methods of mapping the same
> object, and use them liberally. then some other mappers will follow one
> way, and some other mappers will follow the other way. then we have a
> jumbled data model.

... which can be fixed at a later time, if desired. Trying to create
rules upfront runs a high risk of being impractical. And frankly, if our
mappers' creativity leads to two or three different ways of tagging the
same thing (but at least it gets mapped well), what's the big deal? The
alternative is trying to force them to agree on one way of doing it,
which (worst case) can make 49% of them unhappy and/or unwilling to map
the item in question.

If I can get 100 people to map something by allowing three different
ways of doing it, then this is much better than getting only 51 people
mapping it the "one true way".

Bye
Frederik