Christoph Eckert wrote:
> What I was meaning was the other way around: IMO there's nothing wrong with
> having more than one tagging scheme for one and the same thing. If there was
> highway=footway, highway=foot_way and highway=way.foot in the database,
> what's the (really huge) disadvantage?

The disadvantage here is in renderer complexity, and keeping up with all
the rules.

But my point is that if you don't have an authoritative central list of
what tags to use, you get problems of _both_ kinds. The kind you list
may be easier to fix, but the kind I listed is not.

> I agree some additional code needs to be written to support multiple tagging
> schemes.

Have you seen the examples in this thread? Extra tags seem to increase
complexity quite quickly.

Gerv