Lance Dyas wrote:
[...] The direct emails arent marked as coming through the list and are likely to end up in
my spam bucketss... or just get overlooked.

Well they are marked. For mailing lists like OSM I do not filter the email address but the subject. The "[OSM-talk]" part, stays in the subject, even if this has been a direct reply to your message. They are even correctly positioned in the thread in Thundbird here.

So since everything which comes through the list has the [OSM] part in the subject and every reply which is sent directly to you has it either, I'd just change my filter from email address to subject and everythings as you like it.

regards,
Norbert

PS: I sent this mail only to the list, just to be sure you don't consider this mail rude. ;-)