Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:

> Thus, I'm proposing that GML should be a supported format, paving
> the way to a
> live WFS service, and to an "export to shapefile" function. Most
> modern GIS
> software is able to deal with GML, and people working with ArcGIS (or
> whatever) should be able to easily export to AI (or whatever).

Quite a lot of cartographers (like me :) ) _just_ use Illustrator - no
GIS at all. If you're a freelance cartographer-for-hire it makes sense.

Effectively with AI downloads, or export, or whatever OSM would become
your GIS (and where you'd do all your digitisation), which is good,
because it means more data for us without having to reverse something
out of a printed map.

cheers
Richard