Nick

At the moment I feel that the shapefile export files you produce are way too limited to be of much use in GIS processing. The problem is that you are very restrictive in terms of the attributes you attach to the geometry, and vice versa the amount of geometry you exclude based on not supported attributes. I know that if you were to include all geometry and more importantly all attributes, than the shapefiles would become much bigger and lots of GIS systems would struggle to cope with the huge tables.

I propose as I have done for my OSM to Manifold GIS importer, to create one shapefile for points, lines, polygons, include in those shapefiles crucially OSM ID as well as the most commonl y used tags (highway, amenity, name, landuse .... ). But then create a CSV file that will hold triplets of OSM ID, key, value to hold *all* of the remaining attribute data. That way, any information that a user might be interested in can easily be linked back to the geometry using the OSM ID.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Patrick

Nick Black wrote:
Hello,

Over at downloads.cloudmade.com, we've just added Navit format files
for most countries of the world derived from OSM data.  The Navit
files will be updated each week, shortly after planet is released.  We
had a quick look at Navit on Frday afternoon - the files load and
allow routing, but there are a few rough edges, like flight paths in
Germany.

Navit's been around for a while now and it seems like a cool project.
Are many people in OSM using it regularly?  If so, what platforms are
you using it on?  It would be awesome to get it running on Open Tom -
its Linux / GTK based, so this should be feasible.

You can grab the Europe Navit file from :

http://downloads.cloudmade.com/europe

The format was requested by Wolfgang Silbermayr from the Navit
project.  I'd love to host more formats, so please shout out if
there's something else that would be useful.

begin:vcard
fn:Patrick Weber
n:Weber;Patrick
org:University College London;Department of Managment Science
adr:;;Gower Street;London;;WC1E 6BT;United Kingdom
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Engineering Doctorate Student
tel;work:02077185430
tel;cell:07854840450
note:Please note I only pick up my office voicemail sporadically
url:http://www.ucl.ac.uk/msi
version:2.1
end:vcard