On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 7:24 PM, Frederik Ramm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> vegard wrote:
> > But we'll need a more permanent measure against vandalism.
> > Something that'll make it easy to reverse things.
>
> We have some good changes in store with API 0.6.
>
> > An idea I've had, is to add "revised"-tags to OSM data.
>
> Which is what Wikipedia is currently experimenting with.
>
> But note that our most potent weapon against vandalism is the ease and
> speed with which it can be undone.
>
> > unless we put up a way to avoid random vandalism to
> > pollute "the production" set of data, noone is gonna dare use our data
>
> Every day someone says "noone is going to use our data unless...". I
> don't really take that seriously because reality proves them wrong.
>
> If anyone wants to have a strictly quality controlled OSM they can
> easily do that and sell it as a paid service. But I believe it is going
> to be much more expensive than just buying a set of TeleAtlas data, and
> will have all the disadvantages of commercial geodata (errors take long
> to get fixed, data is a year old, etc.)
>
> Bye
> Frederik
>
> --
> Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"

Here is my proposal for Wikipedia. I hope they someday adopt it.

Have a variety of tags concerning quality and let people filter with those
tags.

Anyone can form a group and each group would have its own tags that only
that
group can change.

In this specific case some people can form a no vandalism group and tag data
that looks to be vandalism free.

People looking at the data could then filter based on the reputation of the
groups.

--
http://bowlad.com