On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Barnett, Phillip
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> vegard wrote:
>> But we'll need a more permanent measure against vandalism.
>> Something that'll make it easy to reverse things.
>
> But note that our most potent weapon against vandalism is the ease and
> speed with which it can be undone.
>

> Frederick,
> That's only the case for OBVIOUS vandalism or accident, as in the OP, that
> can be seen in a casual 'fly-over' the map. What about subtle vandalism
> (renaming random streets, changing one-way directions etc)
> Even in areas that I have personally mapped, I doubt that I'd be able to tell
> at a glance that this had happened without digging out my original notes and
> comparing street by street(in effect, remapping the area) which I wouldn't do
> without a huge visual clue.

Well, none of the schemes proposed so far actually deal with the case
of subtle vandalism. They're all assuming it's possible to determine
whether an edit is good or not. The only fool proof way of doing that
is to send someone to check it out in reality, which is going to be a
fairly intractable problem. The obvious vandalism is the low hanging
fruit, and the obvious place to start if you're aiming for a more
stable map. I'd imagine people will do this for smaller areas in a
similar fashion to how we handle the coastlines for the cyclemap (ie:
we grab the data every so often, and just keep the old data if the new
looks too broken in a critical place -- at that point I usually try
and fix it of course).

Dave