Nic wrote (I think - I might have got confused by who is quoting
who):

> Or change potlatch so that it will not delete or modify
> objects last edited by other users. Then it would at
> least be easy to delete anything they did.

This couldn't work. I've modified a lot of things which have been
added to the project by Potlatch users such as when tracing things
from NPE (UK) or other such overlays, when I've actually travelled
the route at a later date and GPS traced it. While the overlays are
lined up pretty well in Potlatch and slightly less so (in my
experience) in JOSM, it doesn't seem to compare with the accuracy of
actually travelling a route and tracing it with GPS.

An example from a journey I did at a weekend (to buy wet walnuts
from a local farm, a trip I do about once a year) - when I uploaded
the trace and followed it on the map I was changing (in JOSM)
highway=road to a more appropriate type, splitting ways where the
names changed, adding new ways that joined to existing ways (adding
a node to those existing ways) or so on. If I were one of those
experienced users who prefer Potlatch I'd want to be able to do all
the same things. Occasionally I also find random nodes in the middle
of nowhere that I delete (to be honest I may have added some of
those on those few occasions I have used Potlatch when I've been
trying to drag the map and messed up).

Ed