----- Original Message -----
From: "Andy Allan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Talk Openstreetmap" <talk@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 11:38 AM
Subject: [OSM-talk] Xybot

First let me make it clear that I am not User:Xybot, and I don't not know
who he / she is.

> Hi All,
>
> I see that someone is running a bot across the entire planet, and I
> don't see any discussion of it on the mailing lists. The bot is called
> "xybot" and the user is apparently "xylome"
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/xylome - I believe this is the same
> person who Frederik was referring to on a previous thread.
>
> I'm asking now for this person to publicly justify to all the
> contributors to OpenStreetMap why he or she knows better than they do
> about tagging? This bot has now effectively blacklisted a number of
> perfectly plausible tags, including "annotation", "node", "notice",
> "remark", "grade", "track", "water", "automate" - and has also made
> some potentially data-corrupting assumptions. Take "grade" for
> instance, all occurances of which have now been changed to
> "tracktype". Which is a hell of an assumption about the use of the
> "grade" tag, and what people potentially might want to mark with that
> in the future. This isn't just typo fixing, this is going way beyond
> that.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/User_FixTypo3Euro:Xybot
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/User:Xybot
>
> Who are you xylome, and what makes you think you're allowed to do this
> without asking?

That's the nature of OSM, anyone can edit anything without asking for
permission.  There's no black and white here.  I agree that it would have
been best to have had some form of discussion about this script, but there's
no requirement to do so, so no point in asking a question such as "what
makes you think you're allowed to do this without asking? "

Most of the changes the script makes seem very sensible, and relate to
correcting obvious spelling errors, which can only be of benefit. But  as
Andy says there are some which are simply plain wrong.

David