Andy wrote:

> And even with typos, there's been a number of discussions as to
> why
> automatically converting e.g. hgihway isn't necessarily a good
> idea -
> almost all of those that I've found there's another way
> correctly
> tagged close beside it. So fixing the typo in these cases is
> actually
> not appropriate - what's appropriate is to remove the mistagged
> way.

I also think that it is a very questionable practice to automate
"tidying" of tags. But in the above example, it may lead to the
duplicated way being noticed more quickly, if it suddenly gets
rendered. Otherwise it relies on someone editing that area and
noticing it, or patrolling tagwatch and manually investigating. I
think obvious spelling mistakes like this do lend themselves to
correction.

Assuming this list
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/User_FixTypo3Euro:Xybot
is the changes being made, then I'm particularly concerned by the
changes relating to landuse=wood and natural=forest (when the
features listed in map features are landuse=forest and natural=wood,
with the main distinction being whether it is natural or managed).
What is to say you *can't* have a natural forest or a managed wood,
just because those features currently aren't in Map Features? I'll
be checking the woods I added near here to see what I used and what
they're now tagged as once the script completes.

Oh, and I might be wrong, but won't these mappings make the script
slower than it needs to be?
"addr:full" => "addr:full",
"addr:housenumber" => "addr:housenumber",
"addr:interpolation" => "addr:interpolation",
"addr:postcode" => "addr:postcode",
etc
(though hopefully it has sufficient sense in the script to ignore
items where before=after).

Ed