On Saturday 25 October 2008, 06:37:03, SteveC did write:

> If positive I'd suggest that we build a list of terms we want to push
> the ranking up for, throw these at someone with SEO knowledge, review
> the changes they suggest and then see who would like to implement
> them.

Have considered this on and off the last few days and ready to make a positive
contribution for a change. I think it would be appropriate and beneficial for
the project and searchers alike if OSM were to come up high in searches for:

* "custom maps"
* "website maps" / "maps for my website"
* "pocket maps"
* "transport maps"
* "travel maps"
* "accessibility maps"
* "toilet maps"
* "dog walking maps"
* "playground maps"
* basically any $FEATURE OSM can do better: "$FEATURE maps"
* "piste maps" would be brilliant
* "map making"
* "mapping software"
* "mapping clubs" ??

Is that useful? (This seems like a job for the wiki.)

… and those stable placename URLs should work well after some time, finding
"maps $PLACE" and similar.

Cheers