On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 7:25 AM, David Earl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> London - missing (found an other London)
>> Washington, D.C. - not found
>
> The comma is a bit of syntax for namefinder.
>
> Also state abbreviations (OK, DC's it's not a state exactly, but it has
> the same role here) are not stored anywhere in OSM data. I hope to
> improve this in due course, and as I said, is_in tags would help enormously.
>
> But in the end, the name of the place is "Washington", not "Washington,
> D.C." is it not? You don't ask for "Canberra, NSW" do you (sorry if it's
> not in NSW, just a guess)?

Here in the states, if you aren't physically close to Washington, DC,
you usually refer to it with the DC to disambiguate it from Washington
state.  Sometimes it's just referred to as Washington, the district or
DC depending on the context.

Most large cities in the US don't require a state name or abbreviation
after them in common discussion, but would probably be included if
searching for an address.  If a proximity estimation was made, it
could clear up if someone typed Greenville whether they wanted the on
in NC or SC.

Also, I think most Americans would probably never think to tack ",
USA" onto any address they searched for, much I would think a Brit
wouldn't tack on ", UK" naturally.

Cheers,

Adam