On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 00:30:31 +0000
"OJ W" <ojwli...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 9:40 PM, Andy Street <m...@andystreet.me.uk>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 19:59 +0000, OJ W wrote:
> >> How about making an iphone app where people can just type in "I
> >> just saw the 555 bus go past"?  After a few samples you have a
> >> timetable.
> >
> > Not if they run their services like one or two bus companies I
> > know! ;o)
> >
> > I suppose it could be quite interesting to compare the official
> > timetables to crowd-sourced data to see who would be the most
> > accurate.
>

> I used to catch a train which was exactly 15 minutes late every day
> (for a year or more).  Writing down when it actually leaves rather
> than when the timetable says it should leave, would be quite useful
> for someone planning to take that train...

I have been thinking along these lines and collected time-stamped
tickets for some time. I plan to plot them to get average realistic
arrival times. I suspect it might actually be telling transport
planners data they don't know. It might also (rightly) embarrass them,
though that's not my specific intent (unless it makes them improve the
service or publish timetables they can keep to). They're certainly not
interested when I take the trouble to complain.

I have considered using a microblogging service something like identi.ca
(or a clone based on laconi.ca) for the real-time crowdsourcing part.

So we might even be able to increase the visibility of punctuality data
and affect improvements.

All very exciting. Yes, let's get a room, er, list for this. :~)

Cheers