On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Gervase Markham <gerv-gm...@gerv.net> wrote:
> I asked for a Garmin Legend HCx for Christmas, on the recommendation of
> various people in this group, and am now trying to connect it to my
> Linux computer to do some real-time mapping. Has anyone got this device
> working with gpsd? A bit of Googling and other work doesn't turn up
> anything - some say to use the garmin_gps kernel module, others say it's
> unreliable (and, in fact, it is blacklisted in my Ubuntu 8.10).

I was unable to get my 60CSx to work in Ubuntu 8.10 over usbserial. It
seemed fine from dmesg but every time I did read() on /dev/ttyUSB0 the
process that did the read() would become unkillable and I'd have to
restart the computer.

I compiled a 2.6.26 kernel from the iwl5000 branch of
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/iwlwifi-2.6.git
(my wireless didn't work either). After that both my Garmin and
Wireless worked perfectly.

It really is trivial to compile your own kernel on debian-based
systems (there are instructions on the ubuntu wiki), if you're having
trouble you may want to try it instead of desperately fiddling with
other stuff.