On Feb 11, 2009, at 6:37 AM, Gert Gremmen wrote:
> I think he is representative for a lot newbies....

Probably.  Been to Wikimapia.org lately?  They now have shapes on
their POI database.  The method for drawing shapes is VERY simple.
LIke this:
   o Click "Add place"
   o Move the corners of the box.
   o If you need another vertex, hover near the line and it creates a
rubber-band line.  Move the cursor far enough away and it stops rubber-
banding.
   o Click on the vertices of the object.

Of course, their job is easier  because they're letting you trace
Google Maps aerial photos.  Plus they have no contributor agreement
(last time I checked), so they don't own the data they've collected.
It's a horrible bodge, but we can definitely take some usability ideas
from them.  They didn't acquire 9M POIs by being hard to use.

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog -
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson