Hi,

Russ Nelson wrote:
> Well, Ulf has explicitly said that he doesn't trust the process to keep
> the data free, and wants to be able to sue people whom he believes are
> infringing the copyright.
>
> But as far as contributing without a clear agreement, just look at
> Wikimapia.

Contributing without a *clear* agreement is certainly bad for all
involved. You rightfully quite CDDB as a bad example of this.

Contributing with a clear agreement - be that PD, ODbL, CC-BY-SA or
RichardStallmanOwnsYourCat - does not have that problem because people
know what they get and what they don't get.

80n suggested that without a clear promise that everything would remain
free forever, people would not contribute, or would contribute
significantly less. I said that I am not of this opinion, and quoted
Google Map Maker as an example - they know perfectly well that they have
no rights over their content and still they contribute. I am sure that
OpenStreetMap under an ODbL license where people know that others are
allowed to make proprietary Produced Works will be just as interesting a
project and grow just as fast as it does today.

Bye
Frederik