For my use, that proposal is pretty good. However, I'd like to discuss
two points.

1) This proposal will not help the Brussels map, where a similar need exists.
In Brussels they want the default map to show street names in France and Dutch.
see
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.77218&lon=4.38126&zoom=15&layers=B000FTTT
for
a road with these tags:
       name="Avenue de la Sapinière - Denneboslaan"   <--- could be
"{name:fr} - {name:nl}"
       name:fr="Avenue de la Sapinière"
       name:nl="Denneboslaan"

2) Sometime an object (node/way/relation) contains more then one
translatable tag.
For example, a house address is a node with
addr:housenumber="12Alef"    <----- translatable
addr:street="Herzel"               <----- translatable
addr:city="Tel-Aviv"                 <----- translatable
addr:country="IL"
addr:full="........"                    <----- translatable
building=yes
name="Azrieli Shopping Mall"  <----- translatable

Do we want to add a single a tag for each translatable tag:
  addr:housenumber:lang=de
  addr:street:lang=de
  addr:citylang=de
  addr:full:lang=de
  name:lang=de
or do we want a single tag to indicate the text labels for the entire
node/way/relation?

Tal