Quite odd, I was mulling over submitting talks on OpenStreetView to SOTM and AGI conference today. I just noticed your website and thought I'd see if you had mentioned it on the OSM mailing list, to find that you had just over an hour ago. I have the openstreetview.org and .net domains and have been thinking about this for the past two years without actually getting very far on the technology side. The openviewproject.org site also looks quite interesting, seems there's lots of people considering this.

John

On 1 May 2009, at 15:59, Mikel Maron wrote:

See also: http://openviewproject.org/

From: Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com>
To: Nick Whitelegg <nick.whitel...@solent.ac.uk>
Cc: talk@openstreetmap.org
Sent: Friday, May 1, 2009 10:15:42 AM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] OpenStreetView

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Nick Whitelegg <nick.whitel...@solent.ac.uk > wrote: I have put together an extremely simple facility to allow users to upload
panoramas and view their location on a slippy map at
http://www.openstreetview.org.uk/. (Sorry about .uk but .org, .com, .net appear to be already taken). There's also a blog there. It's not so much a working application as yet, but I thought I'd let people know so that they
can make comments.

I am actually on the prowl today for a USB video camera that I can plug into the computer in my car to take images as I drive, geotag them (along with orientation) and upload them as I go. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Here's what I've found so far (with some help from Adam Schreiber):

-
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=webcam&cid=5197139896207141132&sa=title#ps-sellers
- Also, my XBox 360 webcam (when plugged in to my Ubuntu box) can scale up to 1280x...@5fps, which is almost perfect.

I'm trying to refrain from using a digital still camera for two reasons:
1. Lots of snapshots will wear out the focus/shutter mechanism
2. Controlling the camera in a reliable way is hard.