Frederik,

On 13 May 2009, at 01:01, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Tom Hughes wrote:
>> It's a completely insane solution though. It we want to do it we
>> should
>> just do it properly in the database not fart around with stupid
>> hacks in
>> the rails code that break as soon as any updates are not done via
>> rails.
>
> Assuming for a moment that the database was our bottleneck, something
> that can be done by "farting around" on a number of easily scalable
> API
> servers would of course compare favourably to burdening the
> not-so-scalable database with triggers and extra write operations,
> would
> it not?
>
> Now I don't know how often you manually modify database contents,
> but I
> would think that any operation of a scale that would lead us to bypass
> the rails API would also be very likely to blow apart anyone who
> listens
> for edits downstream, so in my eyes there's not much to be gained by
> streaming these "manual override" kinds of edits as well.

I really don't want to be attempting to try and collate the edits from
the api server logs. For a start they don't contain all the
information that you would need.

There needs to be a fix for the Osmosis method where things are
committed with a huge delay from the timestamp, however that is still
the best method of distributing updates of the OSM data. It is then up
to someone else to do what they like with that. If you want to
summarise each minutely diff and twitter it, be my guest, though
remember you need to compress it into 140 chars.

Shaun