On Friday 22 May 2009, Andy Allan wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Ben Laenen <benlae...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > A typical city here would look like all roads inside the built-up
> > area inside one relation, and when there are roads inside it with
> > another speed limit, tag those ways with maxspeed.
>
> Jesus.
>
> * Anyone who doesn't know what ST_Intersects means should go find
> out. And I mean by writing an application, not by using google
> * Anyone who thinks that processing relations is magically wonderful
> should go reimplement the translucent colouring on the cyclemap
> without any overlap artifacts.
> * Anyone who thinks that "GIS Stuff" is too complex for portable
> devices should think long and carefully about the word
> "pre-processing" and c.f. osm2pgsql, mkgmap, XAPI and every other
> tool we have for that already. Oh, and write an application that uses
> them, not just read the wiki.
>
> This has to be one of the absolute worst discussions for people
> asserting things they actually have no experience of doing. It's
> cringe-worthily painful to read.

Not sure what your comment is doing here. We're trying to get
information about ways into OSM in the first place here, so for example
the map in you gps map knows after preprocessing the OSM data how fast
you can go on each road. So this is a discussion about how to store
that data so it is not too difficult, can be easily maintained in
future and doesn't have obvious flaws.

So what your rendering stuff is doing here, no idea. We're not trying to
render anything here.

Ben