2009/6/5  <ekkeh...@gmx.de>:
>> A walled town called burg in English
>> would be a Stadtburg (burgartig befestigte Stadt) in German, and is
>> perfectly corresponding (though not all walled towns are burgs, again
>> depends on typology/construction date).
>
> Exactly. A burg in English is a "Stadtburg" in German. Which is not the same
> thing as a Burg (without additional qualifer) in modern German. Just the
> reason why it is misleading.

No! A walled town called burg in English would be a Burg in German
(and more specific a Stadtburg). There is nothing misleading. A
fortress called burg in English would be a Burg in German. You can't
pick one possible meaning in a 2 phrase--general-dictionary-definition
to definitely proof something.

> If otherwise, please give me an example of a city that is actually referred
> to as a Burg today (not with "burg" in its name, but designated as a Burg ).
burg in it's name is a perfect proof. This all started because Schloss
translates (generally) to "castle", where Burg translates generally to
"castle". That was the starting point.

Martin