I don't think we should drop maps completely from the front page but I think
we should show more of what is special about the project.  The mapnik render
is a competent general purpose map but unless you zoom in to show footpaths
and the like it looks no different to gmaps.  Whereas if I'm a cyclist and I
see the the cycle map or a skier seeing openpistemap I think that would be a
lot more inspirational.

Kevin