On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:38 PM, Phil
Endecott<spam_from_osm_t...@chezphil.org> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'd like to use the OSM logo (i.e. the "magnifier on a map" one) for a
> "go to openstreetmap.org" button in an iPhone app.  It looks like the
> logo is GPL licensed, which prevents me from doing this.  Quoting this
> page: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User_talk:Matt
>
>    "the icon has the same license as most other stuff in the OSM
>    repository - GPLv2. [...]
>    If anyone wants it under a different license then please contact me
>    directly and I'll see if its possible. --Matt"
>
> Unfortunately I'm unable to find an email address for User:Matt so I'm
> posting here.  Can Matt (or anyone else) offer any advice?

please use it. the use case you've described is perfectly in keeping
with the intended use of the logo (i.e: it's relevant to OSM). what
sort of license do you need? is your app closed-source?

just ignore the trademark stuff - no-one is going to sue you. the only
reason to trademark the logo (and name) is to prevent them being
abused. the evilness / incompetence (delete as appropriate) around the
trademark transfer shouldn't prevent you from making good use of the
logo.

cheers,

matt

PS: i'm not in the habit of putting my email address on the wiki, but
i thought posting to my User_Talk page would do the trick?