Hi Matt,

Matt Amos wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:38 PM, Phil Endecott wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I'd like to use the OSM logo (i.e. the "magnifier on a map" one) for a
>> "go to openstreetmap.org" button in an iPhone app.  It looks like the
>> logo is GPL licensed, which prevents me from doing this.  Quoting this
>> page: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User_talk:Matt
>>
>>    "the icon has the same license as most other stuff in the OSM
>>    repository - GPLv2. [...]
>>    If anyone wants it under a different license then please contact me
>>    directly and I'll see if its possible. --Matt"
>>
>> Unfortunately I'm unable to find an email address for User:Matt so I'm
>> posting here.  Can Matt (or anyone else) offer any advice?
>
> please use it. the use case you've described is perfectly in keeping
> with the intended use of the logo (i.e: it's relevant to OSM). what
> sort of license do you need? is your app closed-source?

Thanks.  I simply wish to replace the textual "go to OpenStreetMap"
button that you can see here:
http://topomapsapp.com/features_imgs/actions.jpeg (or in context, here:
http://topomapsapp.com/features.html) with an icon.  The app is
closed-source and I think I am happy with any terms that are
"non-viral" and do not require in-situ attribution (the physical size
of e.g. a Creative Commons attribution graphic is impractical).

> just ignore the trademark stuff - no-one is going to sue you. the only
> reason to trademark the logo (and name) is to prevent them being
> abused. the evilness / incompetence (delete as appropriate) around the
> trademark transfer shouldn't prevent you from making good use of the
> logo.
>
> cheers,
>
> matt
>
> PS: i'm not in the habit of putting my email address on the wiki, but
> i thought posting to my User_Talk page would do the trick?

I interpreted your "contact me directly" as an invitation to email you,
and I found an address that was not your current gmail one.

Cheers,  Phil.