And now to the list too:

On Friday 31 July 2009 04:42:56 Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> > maxheight:legal -> a legal restriction of some kind
>
> -1
> why would you recommend different tags (maxheight:legal and maxheight)
> for the same thing in different countries? This seems strange to me.
> Just define explicitly, that maxheight is the legal maxheight, and you
> don't have to change any existent tags (in the areas I know) and
> retain consistency.

For three reasons:

1) In the part of my e-mail you did not quote I just pointed out lots of
people don't read those definitions. The difference between the words
maxheight and maxheight:physical is not explicit enough.

2) Because the old definition of maxheight didn't explicitly state it was a
legal and not a physical limitation. Just changing the definition now doesn't
magically transform all the places where people already tagged a physical
maxheight with the maxheight tag into a maxheight:physical tag. At least not
until somebody invents a mindreading osm-bot.

3) The people who do not care/know about the difference are still going to tag
a physical maxheight with the maxheight tag.

The endresult is that you will never know whether something tagged with just
maxheight is a physical and/or legal limitation.

--
m.v.g.,
Cartinus