You make compelling points.

A real problem is the blurring of physical road type, administrative
class and importance.  These are three separate things.  I was trying to
suggest minor modifications/clarifications to get more consistency
without a wholesale replacement.

But, as I understand trunk, it's meant to be a physical upgrade from
primary, which is a national-level highway.  I've driven in .ie, and
don't remember the numbering scheme, but the non-motorway main roads
between towns that are not divided and have at-grade junctions and have
national-type numbering seem like they ought to be 'primary'.  And it
seems that's how it is - the N62 from Thurles to the M8 (amusingly,
someplace I've been to - the horse and jockey pub shows up at z12) is
tagged as primary.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.6539&lon=-7.8013&zoom=12&layers=B000FTF

The N8 is trunk when it isn't M8, and I'm guessing N/M is a hint that it
doesn't quite meet motorway standards, but I don't remember this well
enough.