On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Blaž Lorger<blaz.lor...@triera.net> wrote:
> Wiki clearly states why tag narrow=yes would be a bad idea
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:width#Using_relative_sizes).
> Basically, what is wide for bicycle is narrow for a car, what is wide for a
> car is narrow for a truck ...

The wiki says "without clear definition" about narrow. We just need a
clear definition on the wiki and mine is a proposal. It is just
proportional to the default width for all highway types for all
countries. The advantage is that you don't have to tag all highways,
just the ones you consider narrower.
Otherwise, if you use the width=x , you have to do it on all roads or
it will never be used by any application since they don't know if this
segment is wider or narrower than the 95% of the highways where this
width is missing.
Here we could start again the discussion about the default width or
default lanes and so on per highway type per country. That's the
advantage of the key narrow, it is easy to use for mappers and it
works for all countries.

Pieren