On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Blaž Lorger<blaz.lor...@triera.net> wrote:
> Let's see:
> 1. There is no clear definition what is narrow.
> 2. There is no specification for default width of road type.
> 3. If narrow=yes is not applied everywhere where it should be it is equally
> useful/useless as with width tag.

Adding narrow=yes to your unclassified highway meaning "it is 50% to
75% narrower than the usual unclassified highway width in my country"
is universal and doesn't have to be added everywhere. When you add
oneway=yes to a road, do you add oneway=no to all others ? When it is
not attached, then it is the usual width of the unclassified highway
in your country. And this can be used by any renderer who could draw
thinner roads when the tag is present. But renderers will never draw
the exact width=* of a road excepted at the very high zoom levels.

> 4. At the end it is always up to the individual mapper to decide what is
> narrow. While 1 meter is 1 meter.

You always have some subjectivity when you map, look the other thread
about residential vs unclassified. Below you say yourself it must be
estimated, so your 1 meter can be 1.5 meters for someone else. Your
just give the "impression" that a number is more accurate than an
adjective but it is just an impression (excepted if you really measure
the width with a tape).

> 6. You will actually require large number of values for "narrow" to even
> approach granularity offered by one simple tag "width". Either you will have
> have narrow=no|foot|bicycle|motorcycle|car|suv|lgv|hgv|... Vale yes could not
> be used, since it does not specify how narrow the road is or it could be
> equivalent for narrow=car.

I only suggest narrow=yes. I don't understand what means
narrow=foot|etc. It is narrower than the default width of the road. It
has nothing to do with vehicules.

> 7. You must prepare clear enough instructions how to select value for narrow,
> to reduce subjective factor to minimum.

no values for narrow, it is a rough estimate that the road you are
adding as "residential" is not the usual residential width in your
country but is narrower. A typical example here in Europe is in towns
or villages centers where some old streets are very narrow and usually
oneway because two cars cannot cross. Tagging them as highway=service
is improper because it is real streets and not alleys.

> 8. You must get renderers to support it.
>
> On the other hand, if you use tag width, which is already established tag if I
> may add, you have to accomplish following:
> 1. You must get renderers to support it.
> 2. Prepare some guidelines how to estimate road width. Of course using
> measuring equipment is always preferred but less realistic.
> 3. Deprecate tag est_width and always store width data in tag width. Add
> additional tag that would state accuracy of width data. This is really not
> necessary, but will be easier to use by the software and probably also easier
> to map.

Pieren