2009/8/5 Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxf...@googlemail.com>:
> Motorway is mainly physical. The point is that it most definitely isn't
> defined by importance.

well, in nearly all cases the motorways will be the most important
roads. Of course there are also other characteristics and a highly
important footway will never become in no country a motorway (without
at least slight modifications ;-) ).

> A motorway is the part of a trunk road that has
> grade-separated junctions, and is on a new alignment, or does by some other
> means keep slow traffic out of harm's way.

Yes, I'd agree on grade-separated junctions and keeping slow traffic
out, while I don't think that new alignment is necessary neither do I
understand, what a trunk-road is (Wikipedia:en="A trunk road, trunk
highway, or strategic road is a major road—usually connecting two or
more cities, ports, airports, etc.—which is the recommended route for
long-distance and freight traffic. " so I'd say: importance). Though
these criteria apply to some other roads as well, at least in Germany
and Italy, that are not motorways but considered a lower class.

> My concern stands - beware putting a statement at the top of a wiki page
> that is only partly true.

that's IMHO why I started this discussion: it surely isn't just physical.

cheers,
Martin