My English was perhaps unclear. The discomfort is with using the same tag
for two quite different road types (industrial estate roads and country
lanes). Either would be fine on their own.

The potential problem for renderers is that there's a lot less space to
render things in urban areas, so they benefit if lower-order roads are
distinguishable between urban areas (so they can be narrowed or suppressed),
and rural areas (so they can be used to help fill up the space). Abutters
seems to offer one way of indicating to the renderer that it's within the
urban area without creating yet another highway tag.

Richard