2009/8/5 David Lynch <djly...@gmail.com>:

> That indicates that it's part of the Interstate system. Every highway
> on the Interstate system is a motorway-class (high-speed and
> grade-separated) road, but not every motorway-class road in the United
> States is an Interstate. There is no equivalent to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zeichen_330.svg to draw a clear line
> between highway=motorway and highway=something else.

As far as I have understood by reading English Wikipedia you have
different classes (Freeway, Interstate, Numbered Highways) where at
least Freeway and Interstate are motorways. Those seem to have
unambiguous signs. May I suppose that I would not be allowed to ride
my bike on any of these, even if the average speed on all lanes of the
405 in LA is 5 mph at rush hour?

Cheers,
Martin