--- On Tue, 4/8/09, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been to different countries too, e.g. to Africa, and
> I don't
> think the road systems are all the same. I know that there
> is big
> differences. But this doesn't explain why routing shouldn't
> work as
> long as you keep the hierarchy. In the end, you will have
> to drive on
> the roads that are there. There is no possibility if you go
> by car. I
> didn't say that I expect e.g. travel time estimations to
> work
> everywhere with the same rules, but simple routing - given
> the
> relative importance - should IMHO make routing possible
> worldwide.

Would something like this make you happier?

Change highway=unclassified definition to be more explicit, for example:

"No administrative classification. Unclassified roads typically form the
interconnecting grid network of residential and other Urban road ways."

And a new highway classification highway=rural which would be:

"No administrative classification. Rural roads typically form the lowest form
of the non-Urban interconnecting grid network. Rural roads also connect more
than one farm to urban areas even if they are no through roads."

Hopefully the refinement of unclassified and the addition of a new highway type
seen mostly in rural areas of Australia and I'm guessing other countries with
large areas of sparsely populated areas.