--- On Mon, 3/8/09, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> actually none of them I would consider a residential road.
> They could
> be everything from primary (not probable) to track,
> dependant on the
> surrounding and actual use (what they link).
> usually we would think about something like this when
> talking about
> residential roads:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Image:Residential.jpg
> IMHO you can find them just inside inhabited areas, not in
> the county
> side between fields.

There is a national highway that circumnavigates Australia, changes names along
the way and is something like 25,000km long, I believe it turns into a road
something like that at some point in its journey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_1_(Australia)

THe pictures Liz took are common in rural areas where they can't afford to seal
the road, some are tertiary in importance, others mostly get tagged
unclassified.