I've done some rain-forest hiking, and I've noticed similar results.
If you really want to see some wandering tracks, try hiking along the
base of some cliffs, in dense forest.

I have noticed that the errors do seems to be less the faster I'm
moving.  If I stand in one place for a while, the path can wander over
quite an area if there is dense cover.  If I walk fairly quickly, then
it still has errors, but not as large.  I think it must be finding
more open patches and correcting itself more often.

Stephen