On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Apollinaris Schoell <ascho...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Garmin calls it high sensitivity but thats marketing .... Maybe better
> than very old Garmin devices but much worse compared to a SiRF III
> I have a new Hcx and compared multiple times.
> Only 60, Oregon, Colorado use a SiRF III  and they are much better in
> accuracy but drain batteries like crazy.
> Still like the Hcx because it's smaller and battery life is very important
> on long hikes.

No, the 60Cx/60CSx are the only handheld Garmin models that have a Sirf Star
III (well, maybe some niche units like the Astro or Rino have it). The
Colorado has a MediaTek just like the Vista HCx. The Oregon has a STM
Cartesio chipset, same as the Delorme PN-40. I haven't used a 60Cx or 60CSx
model, but I had a Vista HCx and it performed quite well. There was a rough
series of chipset firmware for the Vista HCx that had a problem with
drifting from the true position under difficult conditions, but recent
firmwares have fixed that (or you could use the old version...). It was
definitely able to hold a signal under difficult conditions better than the
PN-40 I have now.

Karl