On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 8:56 PM, John Smith<delta_foxt...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In other areas there are cycle paths and pedestrians are allowed but they
> aren't the primary users intended to use the way and cyclists mostly use
> them. So yes there would be information lost by simplifying things in the way
> you describe.

Is tagging the "primary users intended to use the way" verifiable? If
not, it shouldn't be tagged. If it is, then is footway/cycleway
necessarily the best way to tag it? (I'm unsure). How about a
compromise, e.g. for a "cyclists mostly use" path:

highway=path
bicycle=designated (or yes, if not signed)
foot=yes (or designated, if signed)
primary_use=bicycle

Just a suggestion. It does seem to be more explicit than inferring a
"primary use" from the highway=* value.