I used to own an older Blackberry Curve which ran Google Maps fine, but I could
never find any map application that used OSM data.  They all either failed to
install, or failed to start once installed, or just sat there without displaying
the current location or any maps.

Today I got a new Blackberry 8900, so rather than install Google Maps on it, I
decided to try again to find a mapping program that works.  There are several
that don't:

- Cloudmade's blog led me to Nutiteq, who make a library for displaying maps
  on mobile devices.  They have some demo applications including 'Nutiteq maps'
  but the download link for Blackberry is broken.  They suggest that Blackberry
  users try out Trapster to see an example use of Nutiteq's library.

  Trapster alerts you to police speed traps.  Not quite what I had in mind, but
  if it displays my current position on a map then it'll do.  I installed it
  but found it uses Microsoft maps!

- G'o <http://poco.org.uk/go> fails to start on the Blackberry with some kind
  of validation error (not related to digital signatures AFAICT).  The same is
  true of 'minimom' from the same site.

- There's nothing appropriate in the Blackberry App World.

However, TMJ-Mobile <http://www.trackmyjourney.co.uk/> does it.  It can display
raster tiles (such as OSM Mapnik, or Cloudmade's tiles) or vector tiles (which
save on bandwidth).  Setting it up is a pain.  Register on the website and then
log in with the username you chose and the password mailed to you.  Download the
app to the phone; on the Blackberry you should also set its permissions so it
has access to 'Location' and 'Internet'.  Start it, agree to the terms and
conditions, and then leave it in the open air to get a GPS fix.  (If it can't
get GPS data it reports latitude = longitude = 0, which is annoying.)

You may have to fiddle around in the menu under 'GPS' to make it use the
internal GPS.  I also ticked 'Allow Costs (Assisted-GPS)' and 'Parse NMEA data
if available', although I don't know if they make a difference.

You also need to go to the 'Web' menu and do 'Enable Upload'.  This enables
the *download* of map tiles.  (It might also turn on uploading your location
to the TrackMyJourney website, which I haven't experimented with yet.)

Press 6 to get to the map page.  It will show a blank grid to start with.
Then go to the menu again, Raster Map Menu, Map Source, Online.  Choose the
set of tiles you want.  With luck, you'll now see spinning progress indicators
on the map background, and in a few seconds, lovely Mapnik tiles on your
Blackberry.

I think I'll still use my Garmin GPS for recording tracks, since I presume it
has better sensitivity than the Blackberry's builtin GPS, but I think you could
use this app to record traces too.  I haven't dug around to see if it lets you
export GPX format.

--
Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>