On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Ulf Lamping
<ulf.lamp...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> How would you describe it?

Here goes...

> If there are 30 graves (often even 100 years old) directly near a church
> that's very certainly a grave_yard IMHO.

amenity=cemetery
cemetery:capacity=30
cemetery:year_span=1800-1900

If it is affiliated with/related to a nearby church, how about using
either a relation with the amenity=place_of_worship (preferable), or
cemetery:affiliation=Ye Olde Church

> If there are thousands of WWI graves I certainly would tag these as a
> landuse=cemetery

amenity=cemetery
cemetery:capacity=3000
cemetery:year_span=1914-1918
cemetery:dedication=WWI

Note that the above examples are to demonstrate that, even if you
perceive a cemetery to be different to a grave_yard, it is still
possible (and IMHO preferable) to use a common tag and specify the
differences explicitly. If anyone actually thinks the above tagging
scheme is a good idea, well, that's a bonus.

By the way, I think a cemetery is better described as an amenity, not
a landuse, as I think it is "a useful and important facility" moreso
than "an area of land used by people" (from the wiki definitions of
Key:amenity and Key:landuse).