On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 10:21 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/9/10 Roy Wallace <waldo000...@gmail.com>:
> > Richard's contribution was interesting though, and obviously does have
> > a basis in law (http://www.systemed.net/blog/?p=100).
> >

> Just because someone quotes legal cases doesn't mean it's legal
> advice, I think OSM is to the point that it needs to seek pro-bono
> legal advice on this and similar matters.

I'm not sure what help a lawyer is going to be - they're not going to be
able to guarantee you that much of anything is 100% (or 99.9%) safe in 100%
(or 95%, weighted by user-base) of jurisdictions, especially not for free.
 As Richard says in the comments, "In the UK, as ever, the law is less
clear-cut than in the US."  The only way I can see this being reconciled is
by getting explicit permission.