shop=vacant; empty stores should be marked vacant, not removed from map.

I think this is fine.  shop=foo disused=yes doesn't work because often
the idenity of a shop is removed as the landlord gets ready to re-lease,
and it's just an empty room.

  shop=supplements;  specialty food and dietary supplements.

I thinh you mean 'dietary supplements, herbal remedies, and the kinds of
food that are culturarlly associated with the crowd that buys
supplements' :-)    A shop that sells mostly fine cheeses wouldn't fit.

  shop=cash; non-bank cheque cashing or short term "payday" loans

name is awkward, but valid point.

  shop=beauty; personal beauty services, tanning, nails, spa, etc.

sounds good.  'solarium' appears to be British, and I think beauty is
more likely to be readily apparent to those for whom English is a second
language.

  shop=tobacco;  specialty shop selling cigars, cigarettes, pipe
  tobacco, and accessories

There's a far larger issue, which I noticed on Garmin's proprietary map
data.  When searching for A, how does one map the desire A to the
category scheme, and then enter it, and get the right answer?  For
restaurants, is it "American" or "Steak/Grill"?  Where's the boundary?
For shops, many can be put into neatly divided categories, but near me
for example there is a fish store that sells meat and beer/wine.  Really
it's of type shop and has a multivalued attribute for what it sells.

That said, having a map where all stores are on it and mappers pick the
best and we get on with things gets us 95% of the value - but I wanted
to mention the semantics problem.