On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Greg Troxel <g...@ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> There's a far larger issue, which I noticed on Garmin's proprietary map
> data.  When searching for A, how does one map the desire A to the
> category scheme, and then enter it, and get the right answer?  For
> restaurants, is it "American" or "Steak/Grill"?  Where's the boundary?
> For shops, many can be put into neatly divided categories, but near me
> for example there is a fish store that sells meat and beer/wine.  Really
> it's of type shop and has a multivalued attribute for what it sells.

How about shop=butcher;alcohol ? Additional info (the fact it sells
fish, beer/wine specifically) should be put in additional tags.

Regarding search - ideally, I think the user should be able to say
that they want "to eat a t-bone steak in mood lighting for under $20
less than 30min drive away", and any suitable restaurant would be
returned - regardless of whether it be classified overall as e.g.
"American" or "Steak/Grill".

> That said, having a map where all stores are on it and mappers pick the
> best and we get on with things gets us 95% of the value - but I wanted
> to mention the semantics problem.

Yeah...I think at this stage, it's useful to input as much detail as
possible, even if you have to make up tags along the way, provided
their meaning is explicit and self-explanatory. They must be
self-explanatory to facilitate a possible future move to a more
coordinated scheme, to get that last 5% of value without having to
re-survey (highway=footway/cycleway/path should serve as a warning
against non-explicit tag names!).