On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 1:52 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> 2009/9/21 Anthony <o...@inbox.org>:
>> > Not if you are free to cross the center line, for instance to make a
>> left
>> > turn across oncoming traffic to turn into a driveway.
>>
>> I didn't know you can u-turn on most trunk roads legally so why aren't
>> we showing those as 2 seperate ways?
>>

> Using 2 separate ways implies that you can't U-turn, except in places where
> the two ways are connected.

I reread the question and realize I didn't answer it.  U-turn laws vary
greatly by jurisdiction.  Here in Florida you are allowed to U-turn on any
road which isn't separated by a barrier or painted median, unless it is
unsafe to do so or doing so obstructs other traffic.  But that is extremely
jurisdiction specific.

In general, the more important question than whether or not you can U-turn
is whether or not you can cross the center line in order to make a left
(right if you drive on the other side) turn.  I believe the law in most US
jurisdictions is that this is allowed when physically possible unless there
is a painted median (double double yellow lines), traffic cones, etc.  In
the case of a painted median (double double yellow lines), if this is
represented as a single way, that is incorrect and should be fixed.  In the
US, there is probably a lot of this, because we imported so much from Tiger,
which represents pretty much everything except major highways as single ways
(and is a significant area needing cleanup).  Outside the US, I just don't
know the laws.

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 2:09 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/9/21 Anthony <o...@inbox.org>:
>  > Define "physically separated".
>
> The road base finishes or there is a concreate barrier or other form
> of barrier that would prevent a car crossing, legally or otherwise.
>
> > Do you admit that a physical bridge can carry multiple ways, or not?  I
>
> A bridge is a single way

Even if there is a concrete barrier or other form of barrier that would
prevent a car crossing?  Why are bridges different?